The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy is a Pre-K – 6 school that has been in operation since August 1997, and is accredited by The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy is a “dream realized” of the late Dr. Herbert Guice, Pastor of the Bethel Missionary Baptist Church for more than 57 years. Dr. Guice was inspired to build an elementary school after learning from the late Ms. Edna Washington, Educator and former Oakland Unified School Superintendent, that students drop out of school at the elementary level – “they just take the action in high school”!
Building and overseeing the operation of an elementary school is one of many contributions Dr. Guice made to the community and to many organizations both locally and nationally. Dr. Guice served as the founder and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) until his passing in February 2008. The state-of-the-art, beautiful edifice of the Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy is the first religious, educational institution in Oakland to be built from the ground by an African-American Baptist Church.
The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy was built on the premise that a successful school has a strong supportive culture. A
culture that lets children know that their work is valued, that adults will not give up on them, and that they are responsible for their actions. The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy achieves this goal in a small school setting, with small class sizes and promotes values that actively involve families and their community. Our staff creates a professional tone that celebrates learning in all its forms. As a learning community, students, parents, teachers, and other stakeholders share in the commitment to excellence for each child, through effective, ongoing interaction and communication between the school and home.
The students’ educational experiences are enhanced through learning the School Affirmation Pledge that begins with, “I AM GOD’S CHILD, AN AWESOME LEADER” and the School Song.
- The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy is a community composed of parents, faculty, staff and students bound together in mutual respect for each other.
- The School is dedicated to preparing young people to live in an evolving world of change.
- Students are guided through the curriculum in the development of a quality education and a moral value system. The curriculum is carefully coordinated to instill a strong foundation in the basic skills, as well as develop high levels of analytical and critical thinking through age appropriate activities. The development of the total child is addressed through moral, social, psychology and physical development. The unique qualities and talents of each child are encouraged and nurtured.
- The education environment is a community where responsibility for learning is placed upon the learners, the teachers and staff as professional resource persons, and the parents as nurturers and supporters of their child.
Belief in people as a solution
The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy seeks to educate and train students in a safe, creative and intellectually stimulating Christian environment that fosters the growth of self-esteem and responsibility in each child.
- An academic program that combines high academic standards with Christian education that focuses on character development as well as academic achievement.
- Enrichment programs that include Spanish, Music, and Drumline and Drill Team.
- Small classroom sizes.
- Before and after-school care available, includes nutritious breakfast and afternoon snack.
- Nutritious hot lunches are available for a nominal fee.
- A financial literacy program where students open and maintain their own savings accounts.
Board of Directors
See a complete bio on each of our teachers. If you are a qualified teacher and you’re interested in applying for a position, please download and complete our teacher application.
The Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy relies on the generous donations and gifts from our supporters to continue to provide a quality education for its students. Our tuition does not cover the actual cost of educating each student. Therefore, your financial support is much appreciated. Learn more about how you can contribute to our growth and continued success.
Click here to make your contributions on Pay Pal
Dr. Herbert Guice Christian Academy
6925 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94621
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 57 bytes) in /home/content/17/4038017/html/Testing/DHGCA/wp-includes/cache.php on line 650